Saturday, May 13, 2006

Miss This Feeling




A good friend recently sent me pictures of the Wesak festival held in Brickfields Maha Vihara, Malaysia- where I used to attend my dhamma classes every Sunday morning. I can't believe how every now and then I will miss this place when I used to complain so much about going for classes back then.
Looking at these pictures has brought me back to so many bittersweet memories. I miss how I used to be running up and down putting make-ups and doing last minute preparation for the dancing girls to perform on stage. I miss how I used to stand at the stalls with other kalyana mitras (pali word translated as spiritual friends) to get our candles sold, either that or were running around chasing people just to get a few penny for donations. I miss how my family and I would go to the food stalls to buy yummy vegetarian dishes and lotus seeds. I miss how the monks would come around to sprinkle holy water with chrysanthemum flower. There are so much about this place - the story of how I first got here, how I grew up here over the years and eventually left ....oh, how I miss the feeling of being there.

4 Comments:

Blogger Astrorat said...

nice pic ;)
Vesak was nice, but i am sad that the meaning is slowly being lost as commercialism is taking hold of the celebrations. There’s more business going on during vesak than religious celebrations.

But, i can imagine how even this version of commercial celebration might be missed when you are far from home. :)

7:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with Raam totally....
weLL, maybe..thatz the way it is...

8:17 AM  
Blogger mythsn_legends said...

Gosh, it was like a pasar malam.....*shakes head*
It's lovely at night though.....with the lightings ;)

9:26 AM  
Blogger Steph said...

astorat: I'm totally with you about the commercialism. And is definitely not this part that I miss. It's really dissapointing to see how people are getting less and less aware of the significance behind this celebration.
Despite all these, there were many other moments that I cherished about this place. Hence, the bittersweet memories.:)

bee: hey! so surprise to see you here:) I totally understand what you meant with the updates you told me. They are no one to tell you who you are coz' to me, I dont even think they know who they really are. *wink*

choo: really? hey maybe try going during the day next time..there should be a lot of performances, posters and stuff about buddhism instead of just pasar malam:p..hehehe but again, if go during the day, you wont get to see the beautiful night view with glittering lights;p

4:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home