Ego and Pride
Working at frutty tutti has open my eyes to many different kinds of people-from the really kind and pleasant to some very weird and funny.
I encountered this man yesterday who had an attitude that totally turned me off. At first sight, he seemed like a very gentle, polite and courteous man. But like many people say, a person's true colour is only obvious when something spontaneous, unexpected and unpleasant happens to him/her.
This man came and greeted me with a pleasant smile at the counter. He was very kind to make effort by putting the trolly that he was using back to its place. Many customers don't bother to make such effort. Instead, they will just leave trollies all over the shop, which sometimes causes a massive traffic in the shop itself, especially during peak hours.
While he was putting back his trolly, he accidentally slipped and fell onto the floor, but stood up really quickly right after. He came back to me to pay for the vegies he bought and acted as if nothing had happened. So being concerned, I asked if he was okay. He looked at me with the weirdest look (as if he didn't understand what I was saying and as if that he had lost his memory of what had happened a split second ago) and said "Yeah" (in a very condescending way). I was so shocked and annoyed, I didn't bother to respond.Then another man came and pat on his shoulder, and asked him in a concerned manner if he was okay. Again, he gave the same expression and response to that man as he gave me. Instead of thanking and appreciating the other man for being concern, he asked " What's wrong?" The other man was probably annoyed with his response and said " Well, you fell" and walked away. And this man later mumbled that the floor was slippery. But hey, that was not the point. It was not about whether the floor was slippery (although I should have apologised on behalf of the boss) but it was the fact that he slipped and fell, and when people around him were concerned, he acted as if nothing had happened. Is it so hard to acknowledge and appreciate the concern of others?
I could have apologised for the wet floor but I chose not to because I didn't see the point. So much of ego and pride, so full of himself, I feel like puking!
Oh Hellloooo???!! "What's wrong?" I can't believe what I was hearing! So what is the big deal to acknowledge that he fell but he was okay. Yuck!
I derived a few predictions through this observation. This man is likely to be someone who:
1. has no sportsmanship.
2. couldnt bring himself to admit to others that he has his own imperfections.
3. will be too embarrass to admit if he lost in a battle.
4. will be too embarrased to admit to others of his mistake.
5. will spend his time blaming on other things and on other people instead of spending time to improve his imperfection.
6. thinks that he's too great for himself.
OMG, I can't stand!! A man can appear to be all so nice and sweet, but when a man has so much of ego and pride, I wouldn't even look at him twice and will most likely to scorn him.
oh well...


8 Comments:
Its good to see you notice differences in behavior of the people around you. Much more important is how that has made you to feel the way that you do. No doubt, you are angry for him not responding to you in a way that you (and the other guy) would have expected to. However, I wonder if culture had anything to do with it. People who have been grown in groups that attributes behavior internally (typically those from individualistic communities) tend to see a failure (such as falling down) as coming from an internal flaw (i.e. I fell cause I was clumsy).
Clearly, there are many variables in this situation that we may not be aware of. And making an assumption, is some how not the scientist that you are. I hope that you do give the poor bloke the benefit of the doubt, as he could have been really really embarrassed. On top of that, your genuine question of “are you ok” could have been interpreted as “hai.. why are you so clumsy? Are you okay today?”
I am assured that diversity plays a huge role here...
Cheers!!!
anonymous: I agree that when I wrote this entry, I felt really frustrated. And I acknowledge the fact that I am being very judgemental (not something that I am very proud of)without knowing that guy personally.
You are right, other variables such as culture(not necessary individualistic vs collectivistic culture) and differences in values may play a role in the way he responded to people.
Clearly, I do not identify with his attitude towards the situation, neither do I hold the same values as his.
Nevertheless, I recognise the fact that I am in no position to say whether he is right or wrong and has no right to make judgement through one incident without even knowing that person.
I appreciate your comment. Thank you:).
Hai,
I am sorry.. i thought i had logged in when i left a comment. Obviously, that wasn’t the case. It was me who left you the comment as anonymous. Anonymous no more :D
astrorat: ah..I did think that it was you just from the way you wrote, and I was right;) hehe
omg steph you thought that too? haha same here.
you finished all your exams?
you're gonna graduate soon. you must be so excited, haha. :D
LOL...Itz fun when you get to see soo many different types of people around. Some who will inspire you, while others who will make you feel Sorry for them as they need to carry Tons of Dung in their Head.
Dear Steph and Philip,
I guess i am getting too predictable :P
Sarah: "Dung on the their head"? i havent heard that phrase before.. hehe.. sweett! i think i will borrow that from you.. hehe..
Also, Steph, You have the right to your feelings :) There is another side to my “culture specific argument” and that is what you mentioned: he could have been an A$$hole. Clearly, he could have appreciated your concern cause humans typically operate on the reciprocity principle. Oh well!!
philip: *waves!!!* TOTALLY! graduation is on monday!! i cant wait!!!
bee: hahahaa..you're making me laugh! tons of dunk huh? *rolls on the floor laughing*
astrorat: I take my words back. I can be quite judgemental at times, sometimes without me realising it. And you have a point and I appreciate it. Thanks;
Post a Comment
<< Home