Why Is The Need When There Is No Need?
I know if I dont get down blogging about this, I would never be able to sleep peacefully for yet another night. My friends, if you're reading this, please bear with me till the end. I appreciate feedbacks as that helps me to understand things better. Tell me that I'm wrong if you disagree with anything that I'm about to write. But if I make sense, do acknowledge my thoughts.
Although it feels like, I might end up being frowned upon or end up having people to perceive that "I'm not cool" or "I'm judgemental", I shall continue to write. I shall fight and let this voice be heard. Yes, I'm not cool and I never was. No, I'm not judgemental (although I used to-not something that I'm very proud of) . I am concerned..very concerned about the society and people around me....Why is the need when there is no need?
I am not prejudice towards people who already are smokers and who find it very hard to resist smoking because I understand that it had become an addiction to them. It is not easy to say no to this habit overnight. The least I could do is to continue to give them my support and encouragement to quit this habit.
BUT for others, intelligent others- who in the first place are non-smokers but make that choice to pick up a fag not just once to try, but twice or more times to 'fit in', to social conformity. These people are aware of the detrimental effects of smoking but still chose to smoke and come out with the best reasons they can to justify their actions. I'm trying my level best to to understand the 'whys'. And really, I'm trying very very hard to understand.

So I decided to dial the numbers. The phone rang several times and the person on the other side told me that the lines were busy and asked if they should call back. I said it was okay and hung up and tried again the next day. Same thing happened, and I was getting frustrated. How these people expect smokers to quit their habit when everytime a person calls, gets no attendance from the counselors?
So I called once more. Yes, my friends..I called the Quitline (http://www.quit.org.au/). I called the Quitline because I'm seeking for answers. I wanted to know the whys, whats and hows.
I got through the line, finally. But unfortunately, the counselor told me that she can't assist with what I was looking for. Quitline is for helping people to quit, and provides bits of information about smoking-not that kind of information that I was seeking.
I wanted to find out:
1) What is the difference between social smoking and social drinking, in terms of health risks (is social smoking worse than social drinking or are they the same) ?
2) Does the frequency of smoking matter-people who smoke once in their lifetime vs. once a week vs. once a month etc. the same as those who smoke few packs a day or one everyday? What is the definition of smoking?
2)Is passive smoking worse than active smoking the fact that higher frequency of smoking exposure supposedly cause higher health risk?
3) Why do people conform to smoking when they know that every puff inhaled increases the probability of addiction and health risks?
4) Why do people bother to pick up a fag when deep down they know it is not the coolest thing to do?
5) How can supposedly non-smokers tell the society to "stop smoking" when they themselves picked up a fag, even once awhile? What kind of messages these people are sending?
Looks like, I'm only left with the unanswered questions. But I'm not giving up. I'll do what it all takes to find out these answers.


10 Comments:
i love your post. You have raised some very important questions, and too bad that the agency that you called wasn’t prepared to answer you.
i get bugged when people light up in the presence of non-smokers, with little regard.
I have been trying to get smoking banned within faculty compound. But, sadly, faculty was not very cooperative. oh well...
keep looking and share your research with us ya :D
:)Astrorat
I know now what topic fires you up ;)
Am waiting the answers to the questions you posed in your entry!
astrorat: I agree with you. I get bugged too when people light up in the presense of non-smokers although there had been times that I gave way. What bugs me more though is why non-smokers choose to 'smoke' when they know that smoking is harmful to them as well as people around them.
will keep you updated when i get the answers:)
p/s: kudos for taking the time by putting efforts to ban smoking in uni compound, although it is dissapointing to hear that the faculty wasn;t cooperative without laying down the reasons.
choo: I was hoping to get some answers to certain questions from others (who have the experience,if they know why)in the comments. but yea, I will definitely share the information as soon as I get them:)
lol yea this is those kinda thing that I get fire up ..here's something you didnt know about me:p
mil: I've checked the links and find it really interesting and hilarious at the same time:p. hehehe thanks for putting it up here:)
another question to why there is a need when there is no need, you are asking the right question, but the answer you are looking is not why the need, is abt the bahavior exhibited may just be a symptom for other underlying reasons that you are searching for. you wonder why people pick up smoking when is bad, it wasnt even known that cigarette caused cancer tilll when science starts dominating our thinkng system. and humans startrationalize everything that they ever done in the name for humanity sake...the schzoid personality of modern man...certainly do reflect that our intelligence has not evolved much, except we are becoming more adept at spnning web of lies to justify most things.
to the guy who posted above me, don't mean to sound rude...but what are you talking about? could you expand on your statement because i have no idea what you're saying. sure you may think you have made some good points, but if no one understands it there's no point to it is there?
and please type with correct spelling otherwise it hurts my brain.
yours faithfully. a concerned citzen.
and yes i'm aware i spelled it as 'citzen', it makes me sound cool ;D
dear che cosa hai suc'cesso,
I'm not quite sure what you're trying to express here and I was wondering if it's okay for you to explain it further? I appologize for not being able to understand. Yup, you're right to a certain extend, perhaps one of the things that I am concerned of is the underlying reasons of smoking behavior that is exhibited.But I thought this was what I wrote on my post? Sorry I didn't make it clear.
Thanks for dropping by anyways.
dear concerned citzen,
thanks for being a concerned ciTZen:p
hey guess what? i am as eager as you are knowing the answers to these questions. smoking is something i am really bothered with and more so, ppl around me are addicted. really love the fact u put this up!
hey puisan! thank u! guess we're on the same boat..i'm equally as bothered as you are, and yet having people to tell me that "one puff is no big deal"...i'll make sure I'll let you know when i find out the answers to the questions:) thanks for dropping by!
it may be too late to say this, but one smoke makes a person stay addicted at least 3 years recent studies show.
and concerned citzen, i dont like you
:P
Post a Comment
<< Home