Because it's TOO BIG
November 5, 2005, slot: 5:45pm; Venue: UQ Centre
Entering the exam hall. The invigilator who was standing by the entrance door stopped S.
I (1): Sorry, you can't bring this in.
S : (Blur) but it has no labels on it.
I(1) : It's too big.
S : (whHAT?? ) but I'm sick and I need my water.
I (2):It is too big!
I (1): Sorry it's the rules. You can leave it outside or on the table in front.
S got her seat, filled in all the details on the exam papers and the attendance sheets. Feeling frustrated and walked calmly to the front, heading to the panels of invigilators.
S : Excuse me (cough cough), I'm sorry but I'm not feeling well and I(cough cough) NEED my water. But I was told that my bottle cannot be brought in to the exam hall.
I (3) : Does your bottle has a label on it?S : No, but they said it's TOO BIG (cough cough).
I (3) : (rolled eyes) too big???
S : Yea, that's what they said (cough cough). And I don't see a reason (cough cough) of bringing a big bottle. Besides, I'm sick.
I (3) : Where is your...
I (2) : (interrupted) Yes, it was too big. I saw it. Sorry, you can't bring it in.
S : (urgh!)
I (3) : (in a pleasant tone) Sorry, I can imagine how annoying this is and even I don't see a reason for banning a big bottle, but it's the rule and we'll get into trouble if we don't follow them. Look, if you need your water, raise your hand and someone will bring it to you. I'm really sorry.
S : It's ok (smile) (But I'm sick and I need my water dammit!)
Perusal begun.
S : (cough cough cough cough)(raised hand).
I (4): (whispers) yes?
S : (whispers) Sorry but I (cough cough) need my water. It's at the front, on the table (cough cough).
I (4) : (whispers) Why is it at the front?
S : (dammit! whispers) because my bottle is too big!
I (4) : (whispers) Ok, you can go and drink and come back when you're done.
S : (%$^%$#E$%^&*^&???????!!!!!!!!!!) thanks.
Exam begun.
S : cough cough cough cough
I (5): (Brought bottle and placed it at the side of S's table) (pleasant smile) Here's your water, don't bring bottles with labels on it next time ok?
S : (smiles with gratitute but WTF??? labels???..whatever) Ok. (continues with paper).
__________________________________________________________________
I (1) and I (2): Rules are fixed by people. Please use your rationality. Unless you're responsible for my grades.
I (3) : Thanks for being understanding.
I (4) : Hello? I thought you were supposed to bring it for me? Unless I'll be given extra time to compensate my time lost walking to and fro.
I (5) : Thanks for being considerate but since when I had labels on my bottle??
S : will be writing to the uni exam administration to raise her dissatisfaction of the insensitivity of invigilators and to find out "so-what-if-it's-TOO-BIG?"


6 Comments:
oh my gosh.. i cant imagine this happening at the "university of QUEENSLAND"! and whats the rational behind banning BIG bottles? are they afraid that you may drown u are self and commit suicide by drinking out of a very large bottle?
I agree with your comment that rules are man made, and hence there needs to be a level of rationality that has to be used while administering it..
I feel that you should not just stop writing about this on your blog. Go all the way to the student Union (if there is one). I think there needs to be some common sense applied to rules in university examination. Rules aside, i think the system needs improvement!
Great post! i love it! :)
Hi pris!
Lol:D I guess so..;p
Hey astrorat:)
I have to agree no more. I've actually sent an email to the academic registrar to voice my dissatisfaction. Let's see how the feedback goes.
Thanks for the positive note;)
My goodness, I thought silly rules stopped in high school. Apparently it didn't. I can picture you wanting to bang their hands on the wall to get some sense into them!
Hope some changes happen soon.
Btw, how BIG is the bottle? ;)
Hey choo!
You bet. I'm amazed too. It's a 1500ml bottle (have to admit that it is slightly bulky but it's nothing as TOO BIG in my opinion). If I can get a pic of it, I'll post up on the blog.
We all think that it's silly but we'll see what's the rationale behind bringing big bottles when I get the feedback from the admin. (hopefully):P
Yah i know tat ur bottle is really big but there's not reason for them to not let u bring it into the hall esp when u are SICK! How unfair is this? Poor thing, hope ur feeling much better too...
You're right on weiwei. I tried 'cracking' my brain cells for the reasons too..and unfortunately, I'm not as smart as compared to whoever who sets such rules..came out with zero reason..
Thanks, I'm feeling better..though can't entirely get rid of the cough yet :s...hope u're also feeling better:)take care and rest well:)
Post a Comment
<< Home