Aging gracefully
How long do you want to live?
Where do you see yourself when you are 80+?
This was the topic of our tute discussion today. It's interesting how I find 80 years old is already very old when there are people in my class who want to live till 140 years old. Maybe coz' I am never exposed to people who are over 70 and I don't really know what is it like to be at that age. I see myself buried in the-six-feet-underground at 80+, or if not, I'll be sick and frail, while my tutor sees herself partying, travelling, exploring, spending time with children and grandchildren and basically having fun at age 120. Most students in my class said that they will want to live till 100+. Amazing! Wonder how would students in Malaysia answer to that question.
So that leads me thinking. Is it because of my pessimism that I don't see myself living till that long, and even if I do, I see myself as frail and weak. Horrible horrible horrible.
Stories from my tutor about her granny who is currently in her 80s, was hilarious. After her husband passed away three years back, she decided to move on and live her life. Her life is indeed colourful. Parties, dancing, riding bicycles, play sports...whoa!! How cool is that. And then here's the story. A guy asked her to go travelling with him somewhere in Europe. He said "It's ok, we can stay in different rooms." And guess what? She was like "In that case, I won't go with you." OMG!!! And the whole class burst into laughter. This lady rocks! I like:D.
I shall better start contemplating of what I really want to achieve in life and hopefully by the age of 80 (if I ever get there), I will still be celebrating and excited about life.
Shall get back to work now. Stress. Indeed. Won't elaborate here-Wei Wei's blog says it all.


3 Comments:
I don't think I would want to live tat long...wat with all the illnesses, diseases and usual probs that come with ageing...wouldnt life be more miserable if u are 130 yrs old but u live ur life in the hospital, having to be supported on machines and tubes. Of course, it's fine if u are still strong n healthy n can move around normally...but in a wheelchair?? It makes travelling n partying a little hard eh?
wei wei.. the things u say i think its typical of science students.. with all the studying of diseases and stuff.. cos i totally agree.. haha.. can imagine what my life will be at the age of 80 but all i wanted to do now is to enjoy myself and hope that when i'm at age, i wun regret not living my life to the fullest!!
Hi Christine!!! *BIG WAVE*
I agree with you guys...As much as living till 140 yrs old is cool, I wonder what's the possibility of living a healthy and happy life..
Don't know if you guys find this interesting..I find tht unlike the elderlies in Msia (not sure about spore), the elderlies is aussies are much more active and independent..for instance it's rare to see elderlies in msia taking public transportation, going travelling and stuff..here, it's like a norm..*juz wondering thoughts*
Post a Comment
<< Home