The Royal Queensland Show
Also called the Exhibition or more commonly known as the EKKA.
This is one of the biggest yearly events in Brisbane and if you've never been to one, you really don't stay here. Just a bit of a background, Ekka is a traditional event run by the Royal National Agricultural and Industrial Association of Queensland (the RNA), where ten thousands of people come together to celebrate the lifestyle, industry and heritage of Queensland.
One of the highlights are showbags where goods and merchandise are at a remarkably low price! But, I was more drawn to their special events for sheepdogs, horses, bulls, and other farm animals, rodeos, cultural performances and such, which I woefully missed!!! It's not a bad experience, but it definitely could have been better. I only got the chance to visit the showbag pavillion (where I came out buying no showbags), some souvenirs to be brought home, motorcar-racing show, the fun-fair, the must-try EKKA sundae, the last night fireworks...and with that I spent about $80 (including entrance fee and transportation for $16.10, food for $12). Such an expensive experience.


Some of the things I've missed...
Motorcar race event

The ONLY animal I encountered

Fun-fair

Along my journey, I met some pleasant aussies who told me little things about Brissy and sharing some of the aussie experience. I felt grateful to have met this mid-class, easy-going looking lady who we happily chatted in the train when deep inside her is filled with tears for going through the hardships of life- her boyfriend was diagnosed with cancer at a critical level a year and a half ago and is still under treatment. Her lovely aunty bought her EKKA ticket with the hope to cheer her up. I on the other hand, felt hopeless when she told me about her situation, but I didn't want to make a big drama out of it. All I could afford to do, was calmly listened and told her that, those are just one of those unforseen phases in life and that we just gotta be strong and go through it. She seemed to be quite of a strong and very down-to-earth lady on her own. I just hope that things will be better for a beautiful lady like her.
And then there was this group of lebanese who don't appear to be genuine and to be honest, a little intimidating the way the brought themselves. I lied to them about my uni when they asked where I'm studying at. I said QUT with a gulp, still pretending to be normal as if it was real. Nevertheless, I came to the understanding that everyone is different and perhaps they did not have enough opportunities for higher education that might have shaped who they are and how they behave. That, doesn't mean that they're bad people and that we should look down and discriminate them for who they are. They are just different. But for my safety, I took cautious at disclosing about myself throughout our conversation, at the same time, trying to know their people and culture.
I promissed myself to be back again next year. This time hopefully I will be able to catch some life experience shows such as rodeos, get close with some farm animals and see things I never seen with my naked eyes (e.g. the dangling testicles of bulls...OMG, that I think it's hilariously interesting as I didn't know how huge their 'thing' could be..heheh).


2 Comments:
Oh yeah let's go again next yr!!! Trust me, you just have to go to check out the bulls' super-long testicles...they are shocking!!!
Yeah!!! I'll make sure I catch those next year..also, those cow semen! wahhahaa Hilarious!! yes, not for drinking;p
Post a Comment
<< Home